Quantcast

Back up

Ok sorry it took so long, but GVMax should be back up now.
Long story short, Google changed an aspect of their security certificates that meant my key manager's SSL certificate became invalid. The invalid certificate causes the GVMax server to suspect foulplay and shutdown.

I had to reconfigure and move the key manager to a new server and that took me a while since I had to remember stuff from 4 years ago.

By the way I would like to know how people are using GVMax. Could you answer the following:

1- What notifiers/features are you using?
2- Do you send bulk sms? If so to how many people.

I am trying to gauge the continuing need for GVMax.

Re: Back up

Stan
I use it to send bulk text to about 20 recipients via gmail,  multiple times a day.  Great work! Thanks!

Re: Back up

krixvar
I use it all the time to keep in touch with people without losing time from having to switch from keyboard to phone haha :)

Re: Back up

j.a.h.
I use it because Google discontinued the Gvoice app on my blackberry... So I connect to my Gtalk through BeeJive and I can still use Gvoice text messaging this way. It is SO crazy awesome I can use gvmax for this because I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new phone and I like my blackberry.
Ed

Re: Back up

Ed
Services I use:
- SMS and Voicemail monitors.
- Gtalk, email, post notifiers.

I only send bulk SMS mostly for holidays greetings only.
I use GVMax so I can get SMS on my phone through the data connection for free because carriers like to charge an arm and a leg for that service.
BLD

Re: Back up

BLD
Auto sign-up still didn't work for me. Manual sign-up appeared to fail too (never got copy of email with verification code). Tried auto-sign up again which finally seemed to take affect after a few minutes.

Service appears to be working except that I the self tests don't work for me. The "Send Test SMS" from the gvmax web site doesn't ever show up -- and sending an IM through GTALK to my <number>@mygvmax.appspotchat.com doesn't show up either.

Re: Back up

I think self testing no longer works because of a change done by Google. ie messages sent from and to the same number are not actually changed.

Re: Back up

srssnell
Love gvmax.   I use it while working in gmail all of the time and all day long.   Also use it for notifications on my iphone which works like a champ.  I'm going to try and set a group sms next for about 100 employees.

Re: Back up

Katelyn
i use it to automate auto reply to sms with business info for my clients....also getting ready to launch automated appointment finding and booking via sms for my customers. PLEASE dont discontinue this makes life so much easier for us.

Re: Back up

Katelyn
oh and I use the http post and thats it really

Re: Back up

domike
Monitors: SMS, Voicemail, and Missed Calls
Active Notifiers: Gtalk

I've never used the bulk text feature.

However, having SMS forwarded to gtalk has been absolutely indispensable for me. Thank you for such a great product (and for fixing this problem so quickly)!

Re: Back up

arandomguy01
I use gvmax for sms to/from an IM client.  I do not own a phone and even if I did I would prefer to keep all IM type communications within a single application, such as pidgin, miranda, raptr, evolve.

Re: Back up

Natalie
Hello. I am interested in GV Max. I have a few questions & concerns. Would it be possible to communicate via phone or email. I am also happy to donate to the cause. I'd really appreciate the time.
Please email me at mira6@aol.com.  Thank you so much.

Re: Back up

Just post your questions on the forum (I get them, as email anyway) and other people may also be able to help answer them.

Regards,
Hani
On Aug 6, 2013, at 1:06 AM, Natalie [via gvmax-forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello. I am interested in GV Max. I have a few questions & concerns. Would it be possible to communicate via phone or email. I am also happy to donate to the cause. I'd really appreciate the time.
Please email me at [hidden email].  Thank you so much.

http://gvmax-forum.2310151.n4.nabble.com/Back-up-tp4640760p4640780.html
To start a new topic under gvmax-forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from gvmax-forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Back up

James
I'm glad to hear GVmax is working again...I used to use it all the time until it stopped working and finally I deleted my account and removed gvmax.com from my bookmarks. I just happened to check back today and I'm happy to see new signs of life ;)

These are the features I used:
- gvmax as a gateway for gtalk-to-sms messages in the meebo client on iOS. Google bought and killed meebo so I decided to buy a 3rd party google voice client (ThinkMessenger) but the push notifications stopped working recently so I'm now stuck with the official GV app for iOS. I will explore the option of using GVMax again for this.
- gvmax auto-reply feature for a second GV number that was connected to a fax machine through an Obihai device. The auto-reply simply said that it was only a fax line. I plan to set this up again.

- gvmax as a gateway for email-to-sms. This was a killer feature for me, and I used it two ways:

First I would use it as a way to "CC" mobile devices when composing (short) emails. I'm sure everyone knows that GV creates encoded email addresses for sending SMS replies to contacts through email, but that only works if a) they have already sent you a text message in the first place, b) if you enable SMS-to-email forwarding in the GV settings, and c) you use exactly the email address that those forwarded messages arrive at (usually the gmail account tied to the GV phone number). GVmax removes those limitations. I will definitely try to get this working again.

However, the coolest feature for me was to forward emails to my GV number. GVmax has (had?) a feature that turns your own GV number into an email address for receiving text messages. I simply created a filter in my gmail account that would forward specific emails to that address, for example emails from my bank. When an email came in from my bank, it would be forwarded over to GVmax and a moment later show up on my phone as an SMS. I remember being amazed that somehow GVmax automatically clicked the verification link Google sends out when any address is linked as a forwarding address in gmail. This verification step was seamless with GVmax but every other way I've tried to do it gets hung up on that step. The sad part is this will no longer work, as Google has broken/disabled the ability to use one's own GV account to send messages to oneself. Perhaps I can set up another GV account and link it with GVmax and send my main account the SMS using email links generated for the other GV account but I haven't fully wrapped my head around that concept...

Anyway, thanks for creating a truly great and useful product. I don't envy anyone who builds their service on top of Google's platform as they are renowned for changing and breaking anything and everything. Hats off to you sir!