GVMax is down

I am investigating something and until I get to the bottom of it I will not bring it back up.
Hope to have time this weekend.

Basically the server is unable to verify another server (the one that deals with secret keys).
This is probably being caused by some setup changes at Google's AppEngine. If I don't enforce this check than I am open to men-in-the-middle attacks.

Re: GVMax is down

j.a.h.
Thanks for working on this! Your service is very helpful for me. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Albeit, I'm not a computer guy :)
JL

Re: GVMax is down

JL
I posted something on the old forum (sorry!) about how my gchat replies aren't working anymore. I don't use it often, but I noticed it wasn't working last week. The last time I successfully used it was 5 weeks ago.

A few of my fellow old forum idiots mistakenly posted on there too: http://gvmax-help.3614999.n2.nabble.com/GVMax-IM-s-not-working-tp5295500p7574637.html

Re: GVMax is down

Kyler
Love your work here! If I knew code better I would help! Best of luck in fixing this; we really appreciate it!

Re: GVMax is down

LaHardDuck
Joining the thread so that I'll hopefully get an email when gvmax is back up.
I really, REALLY love this service!!!  Thanks for all your hard work.

Re: GVMax is down

Jack
GVMax is a great service and I have come to rely on it heavily.  The problem is, it routinely seems to get overloaded and go down (and occasionally eventually deliver messages about a half hour later).  Now on top of that, the service appears to be totally down.  I would love to be able to rely on GvMax so that I don't have to remember to manually check my Google Voice inbox, but unless GVMax can be much more reliable, I'm going to have to look at other options.

P.S.  If there is anything I can do to help solve these issues (aside from patience), I would be glad to try to help.  I think gvmax is a great product and I would love to see it be even better and more reliable.

Re: GVMax is down

LaHardDuck
He's upgrading the server to do just that. Check out his blog for more info ...
http://gvmax-at.blogspot.com/

GVMax is down; Would more contributions help?

manhattanjeff
Apologies in advance for the long message....

I think the reference to upgrading the gvmax server was in a blog from 2011. This seems to be a different problem, related to changes on Google's servers, as I understand it.

I was more worried that this might be related to Google's change in focus from GTalk & Chat to Hangouts. I've read other forums in which other services that are utilizing gtalk or gchat were also having difficulties.

The "problem" for users like me is that GVMax is so good that I've come to rely on it for most of my instant communication needs, including business-related texting. It might help if there was some way to send out a mass email to forum members (or all gvmax users) to let them know when the server goes down ... or perhaps even someplace on this forum where I could routinely check to see the current status of the service.

I feel guilty complaining because this service is offered free! Perhaps you could do more to encourage contributions so that you might have more time (or even hire someone) to help maintain the service.

I'm a member of another internet service (totally unrelated) that's also free. The "owners" wrote that they would have to eliminate members who did not contribute something. Within a week, contributions went up from below 10% of the target $ amount they needed, to over 200%.

I hope all of us can do something quickly -- this service is invaluable, but it's hard to rely on it when one person has to do all the work ... and without compensation.

Thanks again for all your hard work. I really do appreciate it, despite the way my message may come across.

Re: GVMax is down; Would more contributions help?

I understand people's frustrations, I too rely on GVMax. The issue here is I need sometime to look into this problem and this week I had none. Hopefully tomorrow (Sunday) I will get a couple of hours to get to the bottom of it.

I CANNOT restart the server until I know why the Google server I use stopped providing a valid certificate, remember GVMax stores user credentials. (By the way this has happened once before about 3 years ago, but it only lasted about 30 mins).

Regards,
Hani

Re: GVMax is down; Would more contributions help?

livnah
I hate to be a pest, but I've not been able to get messages through and haven't seen an update to this thread in some weeks.  Any chance we could get an update?

Thanks so much!!!