Send SMS to GV Via E-mail

jazee
I signed up for GVMax solely for the purpose of obtaining an e-mail address I can use to send SMS via e-mail to my Google Voice account.  I don't need any other functionality. Supposedly you can send SMS via e-mail to {api-key}-{GV number}@my.gvmax.com ??

I tried it and it didn't work.  When I initially registered it said I need to setup filters.  I'm just wondering a) if this is possible and b) what's the bare minimum setup I need to complete to get it to work and do I need to do anything else to disable other gvmax functions I don't want/need?

Re: Send SMS to GV Via E-mail

jazee
I should note, I did get it to work sending to any other number. I guess you can't send an SMS to yourself via GV?

Re: Send SMS to GV Via E-mail

jazee
Scratch that.  It works.  Need to remember to put a 1 in front of the number.

Re: Send SMS to GV Via E-mail

jazee
Scratch that.  All I'm seeing is the sent portion of the txt.  Not coming through to my phone.  GV is essentially not allowing you to text yourself.

Re: Send SMS to GV Via E-mail

James
  ...GV is essentially not allowing you to text yourself.

That is true. I believe this change took effect sometime in mid-May of this year. I was forwarding email to SMS through the GVMax service for about a year until it suddenly stopped working. It's strange, because Google Voice still sends the message and delivers the message to yourself, but now they automatically mark it as read in your inbox, they no longer generate an email (for those with Text Forwarding enabled in the settings), nor do they generate push notifications for their official apps, nor do they forward the message to any of your forwarding phones of type "Mobile" with "Receive text messages on this phone" option enabled. Very disappointing.