Using Google's 2-factor authorization.

skenigma
To Use GVMax with Googles @-factor authorization you must use an application password.

Here is a quick guide on how to enable this feature.

Login to your Google account and authenticate yourself.

Got to accounts.google.com

Click on "Using 2-set verification"

Click on Manage "Application-specific passwords"

Re-enter your Google account password (for security)

In the Name Box type GVMax and click generate password

It will show you a new password that by-passes the 2 factor authentication (it will only show you this once)

use that generated password for your GVmax account (if they let you use awesomely long passwords) and you'll be set.

W. Scott Howard
Geeks Rule

Re: Using Google's 2-factor authorization.

Yep 2-factor support is new in the latest release and I have not got around to documenting it. Thanks for doing so.

One point to remember is if you are signing up to GVMax using a 2-factor password, GVMax will not be able to automatically create the required GMail filters for you and you will have to do it manually.

Manual filter creation instructions here: https://www.gvmax.com/filters/

Re: Using Google's 2-factor authorization.

heavy.thoughts
Ah! This is fantastic. I'd assumed there was no way to do this with 2-step authentication.

GVMax, I've already registered my Google account on your app, but is it possible to carry out this process ex post facto? I.e., if I wanted to re-implement 2-step on my account, would it just be a matter of changing the password here to whatever app code Google gives me, and would that assuredly remove records of my proper Google password from your server? (Don't let me sound too incredulous when I ask that; your app is clearly awesome [it's the reason I quite nearly did away with my mobile phone altogether!], but I am as big a believer in taking the extra step to secure things as anybody.)

Re: Using Google's 2-factor authorization.

This post was updated on .
All you will probably need to do is generate an application-specific password (from Google) and log into GVMax using it.

On a successful login GVMax will replace your old password with the new one (assuming of course the GVMax account is setup to use GoogleVoice passwords as opposed to GVMax only passwords).

EDIT:

And of course no record of your original password is kept. As far as GVMax is concerned it thinks you changed your password.

Re: Using Google's 2-factor authorization.

Kular911
I've had this problem for a few months now, but never got around to fixing it as my phone still worked and I still get SMS notifications in email from GVMAX, but I can no longer sign into GVMAX.

I signed up and setup GVMAX, then later when two-factor came out I turned that on.  Now I can't sign into GVMAX nor will it accept the app-specific password I created for it?

Do I need to have my account deleted so I can signup again using the app-specific password this time?

Re: Using Google's 2-factor authorization.

Sorry for the delay. Yep in this case I need to delete your account.
Please email me at gvmax at gvmax.com from the email address you want
deleted.